Apr

overreach

magazineWhat kind of guy is Sheriff Chris Nocco that he would take such an extreme stand as filing a felony against a 14-year-old despite possible lifelong repercussions for the child?
This is so Florida, yet Nocco appears to have gotten his professional start as a school cop (where else?) in Pennsylvania with the Philadelphia Public School Police, where charging kids with felonies (and trying them as adults) is de regueur.
He also served as staff director to Representative Marco Rubio (R-FL) in the Policy and Procedures Office (responsible for domestic security, transportation issues, criminal justice, economic development), and as deputy chief of staff when Rubio was speaker of the house. From his appearance as a cover-boy on this magazine, he also appears to be a Bible-thumper.
Given his background, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nocco has higher political ambitions. He has been the sheriff of Pasco County, north of Tampa, since 2011.

Listen to The Pretty Reckless performing “Messed Up World”

Weather Report

68° and Clear

10 Responses to “overreach”

1. 1 anonymouse
    April 13, 2015 at 12:25 pm

My middle school and high school years were full of such . . . well, foolishness. About the only way anyone ever got busted for such pranks was if they weren’t contrite and polite to authorities, or maybe if they did some serious property damage (private or public) that simply couldn’t be overlooked. And you know, I can’t think of any one of them who went on to shame their community by becoming a mass murderer, a serial killer, a drug lord, or even a member of Congress.

2. April 13, 2015 at 12:37 pm

It is to wonder if the first requirement for becoming Sheriff is not to leave his brain in the cloakroom. And if this same requirement for teachers is not to let his intelligence in a locker before entering the classroom.
    A kid is a kid and there is many to bet that this one would have better learned his lesson if the teacher had openly made morality and had reprimanded him in front of his peers or punished him by additional homework. Now, he must wonder without understanding why he is facing a charge applicable to an informatics hacker while he thought only do an innocent prank.

3. 3 Daryl Watton
    April 13, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I once had a troubled Grade 8 student, who skipped many, many of my classes. He obviously wasn’t impressed with my level of expectations in the classroom. One day, he wandered into the middle of a class I was conducting (I was sitting on a chair and reading to my class), apologized to me beforehand then threw a paper cup full of water in my face. I could have had him arrested for assault and demanded that charges be pressed but I knew that the justice system was in no way going to serve this troubled young man to any advantage — and my demand for retribution would be immoral. I let it go. Suffice it to say, I never saw this young man again. Thankfully his outburst did no damage to my pride (which I swallow often) nor to my level of respect from my other students. I like to think my students learned a lesson in forgiveness I exemplified.

• April 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Oops! Sorry if I offended you about teachers leaving their intelligence in their locker. I didn’t know that you are a teacher and I respect you a lot for what you do for the benefit of David.

• April 13, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Whoa, hansip90, are apologies really warranted here? Daryl is one of the few readers who has reached out in friendship to David Childress, and I respect him, too. But you are right when you say that too many teachers leave their brains in their lockers before they go to work, and they deserve our contempt. In my opinion (and in most settings), educators who cannot maintain order in their classrooms without involving the police have lost the respect and cooperation of their students in so many different ways, and they should get out of the profession if they’re not up to it. You won’t have endemic discipline problems if you run an interesting classroom that engages your students.

April 13, 2015 at 4:35 pm

So this neanderthal redneck sheriff wants to make an example of this child. All right, then, why not go all the way? Crucifiy the boy in front of his school. That’ll learn the li’l bastards some respect!!!

Florida has been waging a ruthless war against children for as long as I can remember. And it seems to be perpetrated by the worst of the stereotypical redneck Southerners–the KKK types–not the Hispanics and Jews and African-Americans. Seems to me that Florida is in dire need of a good heavy dose of Reconstruction, just like after the Civil War. Abolish the state, disband the government, deprive the current ruling element of all civil rights. Let them live under direct federal military rule until such time as they learn to behave like civilized human beings!

5. April 14, 2015 at 9:16 am

I sincerely believe that my reaction was a bit excessive and that these apologies were necessary, not only to Daryl but also to a crowd of anonymous. I sincerely believe that many teachers and members of school staffs are looking for what is the best for the kids. The misfortune is that they too often have their hands tied because of stupid policies introduced by incompetent politicians. The other misfortune comes from that we never speak about them because they remain in the shade. They doesn’t interest the media who seek only the sensational to sell their soup. So we see only the worst individuals, the worst aspects of the system. We have a saying that applies perfectly and can be translated as such: ‘no one talks about the trains arriving on time’. Yet these trains arriving on time that make the world turns.

• April 14, 2015 at 9:29 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah… there are lots of great, dedicated people working in the schools and dedicated to the welfare of children. But there are also a lot–too many–sickos who need to be weeded out.

Case in point: this morning a reader sent me a link to another Pasco County FL story which proves this.

I’m not going to take the time to write a post based on this story, but it is so bad you can see how such scandalous behavior provides an effective cover for bad-news cops like Sheriff Nocco.

Check it out for yourself, and you’ll see how hard it is to maintain a balanced view:

• April 14, 2015 at 11:19 am

OK, I deserved this hint of irony. I know that one of my defaults is to be too confident in human nature – confident but not naive. And I agree on the fact that people like this predatory must absolutely be put far away from children.

6. May 26, 2015 at 10:28 am

Reblogged this on Dad$ 4 Ca$h and commented:
    This is one troubled sheriff, from an exceptionally troubled State.