Sep

first impressions

Alpine1940s

by Alex King

Having been raised in a world of concrete and steel, moving to the desert involved a fairly extreme transition. I was already prepared for a more difficult way of life.  I was ready for the remoteness creating a type of isolation from the world at large. I even knew already that living in the desert means a radical environmental change. The extreme transition however came from those things I was unprepared for.

The last stop Dan and I made before leaving the small town of Alpine was at a gas station. He pumped some fuel while I headed in to pick up a couple of things. As I was leaving, a man in a cowboy hat was entering. Instead of just walking into the store and ignoring me, he took the time to hold the door. I was taken aback by a kindness I hadn’t been shown in a long time. I thanked him, and went on my way, my hope for humanity somewhat renewed.

Having slept well out on the desert, the next thing I was unprepared for was the breath-taking beauty the sun revealed. Morning light brushed across open land broken only by lovely hills all around. I could feel peace and serenity washing over me, cleansing me of all the difficulties I’d been having for years. At last, my mental and emotional turmoil was at its end.

As days marched on, I was gifted with a new daily project. I engaged in aiding Dan in organizing, cleaning, planning for the future… always, there was another project. Unlike my experience in the city, those tasks didn’t bring with them the feel of pressure or stress. Instead, they gave me purpose and hope, and, upon completion, a distinct sense of accomplishment.

I have found my paradise. I am healing, finally, from the difficulties of life.   There is a purpose and hope in the vision for Estrella Vista.  Dan and I talk long about what has been done, and what is to come. I simply cannot wait to share this place, this peace, this vision with others. Void of judgement, accommodating of self-expression, empty of emptiness, this is an ideal healing ground.

greetings from alpine

Listen to Kid Rock performing “Cowboy

14 Responses to “first impressions”

1. 1 chunkymonkeh
    September 15, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Good luck to you Alex. I hope you are on your way to finding inner peace. Virtual hug!

2. September 15, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Alex, i am so happy for you and to read your wonderfully written insights into your adventure with Dan and the Desert. I am also so happy for Dan that he has you to share in his mission for Estrella Vista. You are a remarkable young man and I can see a GREAT FUTURE for you. Namaste, Dusty

3. 5 Mage
    September 15, 2014 at 9:16 pm

The most important thing is to enjoy your life – to be happy – it’s all that matters.
    Im happy for you and your happiness 😀

4. 7 Daryl Watton
    September 15, 2014 at 10:48 pm

You can be an excellent role-model, Alex, for other matured youths who are rehabilitating after prison. I have a few incarcerated pen-pals who would be inspired by your story. Good luck with the healing and may God bless. Feel free to write me if you wish.

5. September 16, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Alex, the healing that you are receiving is really heartwarming. Please continue your journey with peace and love , that is all that anyone hope for, don’t ever give up…………….God be with you,Bill King

September 16, 2014 at 4:24 pm

So glad that you are loving it there at Estrella Vista, Alex. Don’t underestimate the healing power of nature at its most awesome! Soak it in! And you, Dan, I hope the presence of a vibrant young man will help with your healing as well. Best wishes for both of you as you continue on your spiritual journeys.

• September 16, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I can feel myself responding in a big way to the healing power of this place. Being back in touch with nature has done me worlds of good in just a short time. Estrella Vista is quickly becoming home and haven.
      -Alex King

7. 13 JH
    September 17, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Alex, I found your story extremely inspiring. I’m 20 years old and I can’t imagine myself turning out as good as you if I had to go through what you went through. If you ever feel like traveling, I live in South Africa and would be more than happy to show you around. Good luck on your healing journey, and I hope you experience life in its full glory.

• September 17, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for the encouragement and the offer. Whatever success I may have had can only be contributed to finding good in the bad. I think that anyone who experiences bad things will either succumb, or overcome through creativity. No one can really know which path they will follow until the decision is upon them. Here at Estrella Vista, I feel I have seen life’s glory in full.
      -Alex King